Nipple-sparing mastectomy is the latest evolution in mastectomy technique. The procedure preserves the entire skin envelope and nipple areola. Only the underlying breast tissue is removed. When combined with immediate breast reconstruction, nipple-sparing mastectomy provides superior cosmetic results without compromising cancer treatment.
At PRMA, we routinely offer nipple-sparing mastectomy to appropriate candidates. The procedure can be performed in conjunction with any type of breast reconstruction.
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy (NSM) is the latest evolution in mastectomy technique
- NSM preserves the nipple, areola and all the breast skin envelope around it
- NSM can be performed in conjunction with any type of breast reconstruction
- Appropriate candidates include:
- patients seeking prophylactic mastectomy
- patients who have a small cancer or disease located several centimeters away from the nipple
- NSM does not compromise cancer treatment when performed in appropriate candidates
- The patient avoids the additional steps of nipple reconstruction and tattooing
- We can check the blood flow intra-operatively to ensure the nipple-areola will survive
- Scars can be placed around part of the areola, extend outwards or downwards from the areola, or be completely away from the areola at the breast crease
- View Nipple-Sparing mastectomy before and after photos
- To learn if you are a nipple-sparing mastectomy candidate or to schedule a consultation, please contact us here or call us on (800) 692-5565.