National Cancer Institute Releases New Breast Reconstruction Fact Sheet
By: Courtney Floyd
Recently, the National Cancer Institute released a new breast reconstruction fact sheet outlining post-mastectomy options for breast cancer patients.
The fact sheet provides answers to basic questions, describes the different breast reconstruction procedures using implants or tissue from a woman’s own body, and provides details on the recovery, possible complications and other considerations for all surgical options.
- What is breast reconstruction?
- How do surgeons use implants to reconstruct a woman’s breast?
- How do surgeons use tissue from a woman’s own body to reconstruct the breast?
- How do surgeons reconstruct the nipple and areola?
- What factors can affect the timing of breast reconstruction?
- What factors can affect the choice of breast reconstruction method?
- Will health insurance pay for breast reconstruction?
- What type of follow-up care and rehabilitation is needed after breast reconstruction?
- Does breast reconstruction affect the ability to check for breast cancer recurrence?
- What are some new developments in breast reconstruction after mastectomy?
Although this information can also be found on our website, we are so excited the NCI has made this information easily available on their site as well!
Please take a moment to check out this new resource and share it with your loved ones! One in eight women are diagnosed with breast cancer. It will only be a matter of time before you may know someone who will find this information helpful!